As we gather around the Thanksgiving table, the perfect wine can elevate the feast to a truly memorable experience. With a variety of flavors on the menu, from the savory turkey to the sweet cranberry sauce, choosing the right wines can be a delightful adventure. In this guide, we'll explore a curated list of wines that harmonize with the diverse flavors of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. You can find such selection at Delfino Fine Wines, at the tasting room in Albany, OR, or online at www.delfinofinewines.com/Shop
While red wines often dominate Thanksgiving discussions, a well-chosen white wine can be a refreshing and unexpected addition. They can work well with turkey, lighter meat dishes, and a range of sides, including salads and vegetables.
- 2020 DFW Oregon Chardonnay: The Classic White Companion - For white wine enthusiasts, Chardonnay is a classic choice. Opt for a well-balanced, unoaked or lightly oaked Chardonnay to accompany both white and dark meat turkey. Its versatility makes it a crowd-pleaser.
- 2016 Cantine Guidi Vernaccia di San Gimignano Riserva DOCG: Italian Elegance -Vernaccia is a white wine produced in the Tuscany region of Italy, specifically in the area around the medieval town of San Gimignano. Vernaccia offers a range of flavors, including crisp citrus, green apple, herbal or floral notes. The Riserva designation indicates that the wine has been aged for at least a year, adding complexity to the flavor profile. Vernaccia di San Gimignano is known for its vibrant acidity, making it a suitable choice to cut through the richness of Thanksgiving dishes.
- Cantina Sancio Lady Chatterley Sparkling Wine: Bubbles of Celebration - The distinctive Methode Classic Lady Chatterley not only brings an elegant and festive dimension but also refreshes the palate between indulgent bites. Whether for toasting, pairing with appetizers, or accompanying the main course, this unique sparkling wine is the absolute perfection alongside fried turkey.
Rosé often combines elements of red and white wines. It has some of the red fruit characteristics of red wine and the refreshing qualities of white wine, making it a great middle ground for a mixed menu. The lovely pink hue of Rosé also adds a touch of elegance to the Thanksgiving table, making it visually appealing for a festive occasion.
- 2020 DFW Oregon Rosé: Acidity and Refreshment - With lively acidity, this Tempranillo rosé serves as a palate cleanser, especially beneficial when navigating a diverse array of dishes boasting various flavors and textures. The refreshing nature of Rosé elevates the overall dining experience, ensuring each bite is a delightful encounter.
- 2021 Bricco del Cucu' Dolcetto Rosé: Fruit-forward Profile - Rosé of Dolcetto exhibits bright fruit flavors, such as strawberries, raspberries, and citrus. These fruity notes can harmonize well with the sweetness of glazed or cranberry-infused dishes and provide a pleasant contrast to savory elements.
- Cantina Sancio Mezu Mezu Rosé Sparkling Wine: Refreshing Contrast - This effervescent rosé showcases a delightful blend of citrus, reminiscent of vibrant red blood orange, and a medley of red fruit notes including strawberry, raspberry, and cherry. Its lively and tangy acidity acts as a palate-refreshing contrast, skillfully cutting through the richness, while the fruity nuances harmonize with both the sweet and savory elements of a Thanksgiving feast.
Red wines, particularly those with moderate tannins and acidity, are versatile and can complement a variety of Thanksgiving dishes, including the turkey, stuffing, and richer sides.
- 2020 DFW Oregon Pinot Noir: Smoky and Savory - Pinot Noir, often hailed as the chameleon of red wines, stands out as an exceptional choice for Thanksgiving. Its gentle tannins and red fruit notes harmonize seamlessly with the turkey and complement a diverse array of side dishes. Our selection includes a Pinot Noir distinguished by a subtle smokiness, a characteristic imparted by the 2020 wildfires, which enhances the pairing with the savory and slightly gamey flavors of the turkey. This synergy is particularly remarkable when the turkey is grilled with BBQ sauce, as the wine's smokiness melds gracefully with the rich layers of the BBQ glaze, creating an intricate dance of flavors that captivates the taste buds. The Pinot Noir's nuanced spiciness intertwines elegantly with the seasoned allure of the turkey, resulting in a pairing that is simultaneously robust and refined.
- 2021 Cantine Guidi Chianti Classico DOCG: A Tuscan Tradition - Introducing Chianti Classico, a red wine from the heart of Tuscany, primarily made of Sangiovese grapes. Chianti Classico's medium body and balanced acidity make it a versatile wine that pairs well with both white and dark meat turkey and works well with a range of side dishes, from herb-infused stuffing to roasted vegetables. The wine's acidity can cut through the richness of dishes like gravy and mashed potatoes, providing a refreshing contrast and cleansing the palate between bites. This Chianti Classico has earthy and herbal notes that complement the flavors of fall vegetables and herbs commonly used in Thanksgiving recipes. Finally, Chianti Classico is a wine with a sense of tradition and a touch of Italian elegance, making it a fitting choice for a special occasion like Thanksgiving. When choosing a Chianti Classico, consider selecting a Riserva if you enjoy wines with a bit more complexity and aging potential.
- 2020 DFW Oregon Syrah Reserve: Bold and Robust, but Soft - Syrah is a red wine that adds bold and robust characteristics to your Thanksgiving table. It brings a dark fruit explosion with intense flavors of blackberry, plum, and black cherry that makes Syrah a captivating choice for your Thanksgiving feast. Distinct pepperiness, coupled with spice and herbal nuances, provides a delightful contrast. Syrah's robust nature allows it to stand up to heartier dishes. It pairs exceptionally well with roasted meats, making it an ideal companion to your Thanksgiving turkey. The wine's bold structure complements the savory flavors, creating a harmonious balance. While Syrah can be bold, its tannins are often velvety and well-integrated. This means you get the structure without the astringency, resulting in a smooth and enjoyable sipping experience.
This Thanksgiving, let your wine selection be as diverse and flavorful as your feast. Whether you're a red wine enthusiast, a lover of whites, or a fan of the effervescent, there's a perfect wine waiting to be uncorked. Cheers to a Thanksgiving filled with gratitude, warmth, and the perfect pour
There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of uncorking a bottle of wine and savoring its flavors and aromas. However, sometimes you may not want to finish the entire bottle in one go. This is where the art of wine preservation comes into play. The Four C's - Care, Coravin, Corks, and Cellaring - are essential to ensuring that your favorite wines remain in impeccable condition for future enjoyment.
**1. Care: Treat Your Wine with Respect**
Proper care is the foundation of wine preservation. It starts with storing your wine bottles horizontally, allowing the cork to stay moist and prevent air from entering the bottle. Maintain a consistent temperature in your wine storage area, ideally around 55°F (13°C). Fluctuations in temperature can cause the wine to expand and contract, potentially pushing the cork out and compromising the seal. Additionally, protect your wine from UV light and vibrations, as they can negatively affect the aging process. Handling your wine gently and with care is essential to preserving its quality.
**2. Coravin: A Game-Changer for Wine Enthusiasts**
Coravin is a revolutionary wine preservation system that allows you to enjoy a glass of wine without removing the cork. This device uses a thin needle to pierce the cork and extract the wine, replacing it with inert gas. The result? Your wine remains untouched by oxygen, maintaining its freshness for months or even years. With Coravin, you can sample different wines without committing to a full bottle, making it an excellent choice for wine enthusiasts who like to explore a variety of wines over time.
**3. Corks: The Guardians of Flavor**
The quality of the cork is critical in preserving your wine. Corks are responsible for maintaining an airtight seal, which prevents oxygen from entering the bottle and wine from escaping. Opt for high-quality, natural corks when possible, as they tend to provide a better seal than synthetic alternatives. Inspect your corks for any signs of damage or deterioration, as this can compromise the wine's aging process. Properly storing wine on its side helps keep the cork moist and maintain its integrity.
**4. Cellaring: Aging Gracefully**
For those who appreciate the art of aging wine, a well-organized cellar is key. A wine cellar or storage area allows you to maintain ideal conditions for your bottles to mature gracefully. Control the temperature, humidity, and light to create the perfect aging environment. If you don't have a cellar, consider investing in a wine fridge to replicate these conditions on a smaller scale. This not only preserves your wine but can enhance its complexity and flavor profile over time.
In conclusion, the Four C's of wine preservation are essential for ensuring your wine remains in perfect condition for as long as you desire. By taking care of your wine, using innovative solutions like Coravin, choosing high-quality corks, and establishing the right aging conditions, you can enjoy your favorite wines to the fullest, one glass at a time or after years of patient aging. Cheers to preserving the magic of wine!
You know you want to
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events and promotions.